Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Invitation to come

For Christmas, my mother in law gave me The Word of Promise, which is the Bible on CDs read by various believing actors. I have been listening to the book of Matthew which has been so wonderful to listen to. I have been amazed with one story in particular.... Matthew Chapter 14:25-29 {During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.} The invitation for an invitation strikes me! Peter calls to Him, longing to be with Him. Faith trumps the moment that is mixed with fear and uncertainty and Peter walks over the water to His Master, His Friend, His Teacher. I imagine the joy on both faces as Peter's face is fixed on Jesus. That playful laugh that they share. The water lapping across their feet and yet the impossible is possible. Not because of Peter but because of Jesus. I love Peter's invitation to be invited to come! He asks the join the Creator of the water. I am at that sweet place in my relationship with Him where I am asking to walk on the water. Why not? Scripture says that because Jesus has gone to the Father, I can do greater things than He did. While that statement rocks me to the core, I LOVE it! It's a promise from the King. It's not something I can do without Him. It's the impossible that I can do because of Him and in Him. Thank you, Lord. I am there. Asking to come. I can feel in my spirit that he is saying, " Come, daughter, come". And so I step out. And all the while I am praying that I can keep my gaze fixed on Him, the Author and Perfecter of my faith as we laugh and share in the impossible being possible. Only with you, My King and Teacher! Bid me to come to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment